Mt Barker Uniting Church worship is on Sunday at 9.15am. This service is mainly traditional, with Kids Church during the service.
Alive@5 informal worship in the Hall at 5.00pm, followed by a free meal by Hungry no More called T@6 for friends in the community.
WE ARE THE UNITING CHURCH
The Uniting Church SA seeks to be an innovative, growing church proclaiming Jesus Christ, empowered by the Spirit to transform God’s world. Read More.
The Uniting Church is a young church – formed on 22 June 1977, when the Congregational, Methodist, and Presbyterian Churches united to become one. The Basis of Union is the document which affirms our Christian faith and is the guide to what is central to the life of the Uniting Church in Australia. Read the Basis of Union here.
VISION, MISSION & GOALS
To be the heart of God open to the community.
To provide and build a spiritually enriching Christian community that creatively and courageously explores ways for people in our region to encounter God.
Move to at least 0.8 FTE paid ministry
Provide opportunities for under 40’s to connect and build community
Develop and start to implement a plan to:
Maximise the heritage advantage
Make property more accessible inviting and useful to all
Increase the Hungry No More Ministry
The Church Buildings
In the early 1840’s the first Primitive Methodist religious services were held under a gum tree on the bank of the Mt Barker creek.
A key figure in these early churches was John Dunn who is considered to be the father of flour milling in South Australia. John Dunn was a devoutly religious man who was also a generous benefactor to the Mt Barker community. He recalls in his memoirs that the Primitive Methodists had asked for a room in which to preach their sermons. He offered them the front room of his house on Sundays.
The first Wesleyan Methodist Church was a slab hut built on land along Cameron Road near Dunn’s flour mill. The Wesleyan Methodists acquired a large block of land in Mann Street where the first stone church, the Methodist Lecture Hall, was built in 1851.Building of a parsonage followed in 1857.
Worship Services in Mann Street have continued without a break since 1851 to the present day.
The Methodist Lecture Hall with extensions, is now used for Kids’ Church, Playzone, Hungry No More and many other church and community activities.
The Mt Barker Uniting Church – Dunn Memorial – (previously the Methodist Church) was built next to the Lecture Hall and dedicated to the service of God on 16th September 1884.John Dunn donated the cost of the new building.
Another building, added in 1924 was used for many years as a Kindergarten and Sunday School and is now used by Teen Challenge.
This information is from an article by J K Stokes in Ancestry.com and other sources. For more details click here.See also “Fixed to The Wind” in the Mount Barker library.
The Pipe Organ
The Mt Barker organ has 2 manuals and a pedal keyboard, 13 speaking stops, 3 couplers, with mechanical tracker action. It was built in 1884 by Fincham and Hobday. This firm built perhaps ten new organs and rebuilt many others before being taken over in 1894 when a Mr Dodd purchased the business.
Only two instruments remain substantially untouched, this and its twin at the Uniting (Congregational) Church, Port Adelaide. Both instruments are notable. Of the two organs the instrument at Mt Barker is regarded as the finer due largely to the acoustic quality of its position in the church.
This information is from the Organ Historical Trust of Australia records. Click here for the organ specifications.
MEET THE TEAM
Rev Juleen Villis
Margaret Rose – Chair
Steve Smith – Treasurer
Geoff Hacquoil – Secretary
Ian Rose- Chair
Carol Blackford – Secretary